As you may or may not know, Google added a feature called themed icons on Android 12 or higher. It basically let’s you to apply the wallpaper colors to the supported icons, for a better look. Although this is nice, Google is made it so that it’s only usable on home screen and not the app drawer. There’s a way to get themed icons on app drawer, thanks to the new Lawnchair feature.
How to get themed icons on app drawer on Android 12
First of all, you obviously need Lawnchair itself. You can find the download link of it here. After that, it’s recommended to set Lawnchair as recents provider so that you can get animations and gestures properly working just like the stock launcher.
We made a guide on how to do it in this article as well to how to set it as recents provider, and so on you can do it easily by following the same steps. This step is not required if you don’t have root, but it’s just a recommendation if you want a better experience.
Set Lawnchair as recents provider
You definetly need Magisk of course, along with the full root access.
- Download QuickSwitch Magisk module, as it’s required to be able to set the Lawnchair as recents provider.
- Once you downloaded it, open Magisk.
- Flash the QuickSwitch module. Do not reboot once it flashes, just turn back to the homescreen.
- Download and install latest dev build of Lawnchair.
- Once you have it installed, open QuickSwitch.
- Tap on the “Lawnchair” app right under your default homescreen app.
- Once it asks for you to confirm, tap “OK”. If you have anything unsaved, save it before tapping it. This will reboot the phone.
- It will configure the module and needed other stuff.
- Once it’s done, it will reboot the phone automatically.
- Once your phone has booted up, enter settings.
- Enter apps category.
- Choose “default apps”.
- Set Lawnchair as your default homescreen here, and turn back to homescreen. And that’s it!
Now you have Lawnchair installed on your device along with gestures, animations and recent support, which is just like stock launcher on Android 12L. Please be aware that it might conflict with any else modules if you have, as some of the modules are known to break other modules. So we recommend you to take a backup before doing anything.
And now that’s done, we can continue on getting the themed icons on app drawer.
Installing a themed icons extension
Lawnchair needs an extension to work with themed icons. They provide one that they make obviously, but it has less icons compared to the other community-made ones. You can find a better one here for example, which has more icons compared to the Lawnicons stock one.
- Download the themed icons extension you want to install.
- Open files app.
- Find the APK file that you downloaded. Once you find it, tap on it.
- Tap install to install the app. We will use this app to add themed icons support to the Lawnchair.
- Once it’s installed, turn back to homescreen of Lawnchair. And then hold an empty spot.
- Tap “Home Settings”.
- Go to the general category.
- Tap “Icon Pack”.
- Tap “Themed Icons” that is loacted on bottom.
- And here, choose “Home Screen & App Drawer”. And you’re done!
As you can see, you now have themed icons on the app drawer. The setting as recents provider step is not required as said, but can be done to get a better experience if you have root.