If you’re a Redmi Note 8 Pro user, you know that the development of MIUI ROMs on it is quite inactive. Except some mods that only includes some additional apps, there wasn’t an actual modded MIUI ROM since the device’s release. Although there is some custom AOSP based ROMs, there isn’t much on MIUI side. Well that is until now, the device got one.
Here, in this section you can check the screenshots about how it looks and get an idea about the additional mods the ROM has.
By the screenshots above, you can get an idea how the mods are in the ROM itself. Although, there are of course some downsides as the ROM is actually a port and not based on the device’s stock software.
- NFC does not work.
- You need to log your phone out of Mi Account as the ROM does not show a keyboard on the setup, and so if you get locked out you can’t unlock it.
- Tile customizations in mods menu takes a minute to apply on their first try(works fine later on).
- Google apps are missing. You can check this to understand how to get the Google apps. Even though we provide the links, we will have an additional section in this post to guide you how to properly get them.
- SELinux is permissive. It’s due to the kernel that’s used in the ROM.
- Magisk is pre-included in the ROM, no need to flash it over.
- As a note, this ROM is only for Redmi Note 8 Pro, and not the Redmi Note 8.
Features explained one by one
First of all, the lockscreen and the control center is modified by default. The lockscreen has a different header clock rather than the default that follows the system font. Control center also have the clock removed on it as it was taking space.
The ROM comes with 2 types of clock headers on the notification center. You can switch between them using the option on additional settings and then rebooting the device.
You can also switch the server of the theme manager app also under the additional settings, to access the themes from other servers/countries.
You can change the big tiles as well rather than the default actions, along with even moving/disabling the data usage tile. You can also change number of big tiles that should be displayed on the control center.
This section allows you to change the look of the big, small tiles along with the brightness bar. There’s many options in there, you can do great combinations.
You can also change the signal and the Wi-Fi icons on the statusbar.
And that is the all features explained along with the screenshots!
Installation is pretty easy as well, just refer to the process below.
- You first should have an unlocked bootloader along with recovery installed. You can refer to this guide of our own to do it.
- Then, ensure you’re fine with the mentioned downsides above.
- Once you have a usable recovery, reboot to it.
- Flash the ROM in recovery. No need to flash Magisk or anything additional as it’s included.
- Once flashing process is done, format data.
- Then install Google apps with the guide provided below.
- And you’re done!
How to install Google Apps
- First of all, as said in above, flash these in Magisk.
- Then, update the Google Play Services along with Google Play Store just like you’re installing a normal APK.