You might have noticed that Mobile Data and Wi-Fi tiles are now merged and no official way to separate Wi-Fi and Mobile Data tiles If you recently updated your Pixel (or any phone that uses pure Android/AOSP) to Android 12. It takes 2 steps to turn them on or off, and so it is a little inconvenient. However, it is not impossible to separate them, and this content will help you do it.
Bring back the separate Wi-Fi and Mobile Data tiles
As of now, there’s 2 ways to separate Internet tile from each other like in older Android versions such as 11, and it’s not hard to do so. There’s two ways to do it, one requires root and Magisk, while other one just needs one app to edit some values to work within. Follow the guide below to get rid of Internet Tile and separate that tiles easily.
Remove Internet tile without root (SetEdit)
For this, SetEdit app needed, but along with some system-level permissions. This guide also shows how to grant the system level permissions for SetEdit.
In order to bring back the separate Wi-Fi and Mobile Data without root:
- Follow LADB usage instructions and activate LADB via How to use ADB without PC | LADB content.
- Now go back to the LADB application write “pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS“ (without the quotes), and hit enter. This will grant the system-level permissions to SetEdit app, which is what we need. Now we can continue to the guide.
- Enter SetEdit app.
- Choose “Secure Table” from the top-right menu.
- Scroll down until you find “sysui_qs_tiles” value.
- When you find it, tap on it, and choose “Edit Value”.
- Change the “internet” value to “cell,wifi”. Then tap “Save Changes”
- Open the Quick Settings menu.
- And as you can see, they are separated!
Remove Internet tile with root (Magisk Module)
This method uses a Magisk module that automatically changes the needed values every boot and separate Wi-Fi and Mobile Data tiles without you needing to do anything additional except just flashing the module. Follow the guide below to do it.
In order to bring back the separate Wi-Fi and Mobile Data with root:
- Open Magisk app.
- Enter the modules section that is located on bottom-right corner.
- Tap “Install from storage” button.
- Choose the module you have just downloaded in downloads folder.
- Once it flashes, reboot the device.
- And that’s it!
As you can see in the picture shown below, the Internet tile is now separated from each other just like in older Android versions.
This is only tested in Android 12 and 12L only. So it might be not working in higher versions, such as Android 13 Developer Preview and so on. We will let you know if it still works in higher versions or not once we test it. Stay tuned.