Xiaomi users who see Google Pixel users have dreamed of replace MIUI with stock Android at least once. Because when compared to MIUI, Pixel devices have a very bugless, comfortable and smooth interface. So, if you are a Xiaomi user, what should you do if you want to get rid of MIUI interface and use stock Android? Is there any solution to this?
Table of Contents
How to Replace MIUI with Stock Android?
Of course, yes! You can get stock Android experience by installing a custom ROM on your device. Thanks to AOSP (Android Open Source Project), ROMs with Stock Android interface can be easily compiled for devices. AOSP is base of the Android project. Developers have compiled many custom ROMs based on AOSP, and there are ROMs available for most devices.
So, how to install custom ROM and replace MIUI with stock Android? Below is an example of a Redmi Note 4 (mido) with Paranoid Android (AOSPA) Android 10 installed, instead of MIUI 11 Android 7.
This process is a bit long and detailed. That’s why we will explain how to install a custom ROM in full detail in this article. In this way, you will have replaced MIUI with stock Android. In table of contents, all process are specified in order.
Of course, this process will require you to unlock your phone’s bootloader. This must be done first. Because locked bootloader prevents any software intervention to phone. Bootloader unlocking process will void your phone’s warranty. However, if you undo all operations, install stock ROM and lock the bootloader back, your device will be back under warranty. Of course, this applies to Xiaomi, the situation may be different for other brands.
Bootloader unlocking process on Xiaomi devices is a bit of a hassle. You need to pair your Mi Account with your device and unlock bootloader with computer.
- Firstly, if you don’t have Mi Account on your device, create Mi Account and sign in. Go developer options. Enable “OEM Unlocking” and select “Mi Unlock status”. Select “Add account and device”. Now, your device and Mi Account will be paired.
If your device is up-to-date and still receiving updates (not EOL), your 1-week unlock period has begun. If you click that button continuously, your duration will increase to 2 – 4 weeks. Just press once instead of adding an account. If your device is already EOL and not receiving updates, you don’t need to wait.
- We need a computer with ADB & Fastboot libraries installed. You can check ADB & Fastboot setup here. Then download and install Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from here. Reboot phone into Fastboot mode and connect to PC.
- When you open Mi Unlock Tool, your device’s serial number and status will be seen. You can complete bootloader unlocking process by pressing the unlock button. All your data will be erased on this process, so don’t forget to take backups.
Custom Recovery Installation
Now your device is ready for operations, first you need a custom Recovery for custom ROM installation. Usually TWRP takes lead in this regard. It will be enough to download and flash compatible TWRP image on your device. But, you need to pay attention to in custom ROM and TWRP installations is to make sure you download correct file. Otherwise it could result in disaster.
Unfortunately, Xiaomi is very bad in this regard, there can be dozens of variants of a device. Only way to avoid confusion in these cases, know codename of your device. In this way, you will have installed right file on right device. If you don’t know how to find codename of your device, visit here.
- Download TWRP recovery for your Xiaomi device from here. Then reboot into Fastboot mode. Open Command Prompt (CMD) from location of the TWRP image and give “fastboot flash recovery filename.img” command.
When flashing process is complete, you can reboot device into recovery mode. Now, you can start the custom ROM installation.
Custom ROM Installation
You are now ready to replace MIUI with stock Android. All you have to do is find an AOSP custom ROM for your Xiaomi device. You can find many options, and in this article, we have explained the most performance custom ROMs.
In this article, we will go through two custom ROM examples, if you want to experience stock Android as Pixel device, Pixel Experience ROM will be a good choice. Or, if you want to experience pure AOSP experience without any Google services, LineageOS will be the most suitable choice.
- Download custom ROM you want to install on your device. Make sure codename matches. After that, reboot device into recovery mode. Select “Install” and find your custom ROM, swipe and flash it. It will take an avg. 5 minutes and custom ROM installation will be completed.
That’s it! You have successfully replaced your Xiaomi’s MIUI with stock Android. In this way, you can achieve a more comfortable and smoot usage. It’s also a good solution for those who are bored with MIUI and looking for new features on their phone. Don’t forget to indicate your questions and other opinions in the comments below. Stay tuned for more detailed guides and up-to-date contents.